Days: Monday – Friday
Office Hours: 9:00am – 5:30pm
Hours of Work: 37.5
Reports to: Support Staff Supervisor
The Legal Secretary will be responsible for supporting solicitors by performing a variety of administrative duties, including drafting legal correspondence, answering phones and greeting visitors and communicating with solicitors, clients and court personnel.
Primary duties and Responsibilities
- Transcribe and proofread legal documents
- Type legal documents
- Prepare court forms
- File, organise, and scan legal documents
- Keep records up to date using Practice Management System
- Filing documents on files where necessary
- Preparation of Court Bundles
- Schedule court depositions, hearings and other meetings
- Make travel arrangements for solicitors
- File documents with the court ahead of deadlines
- Arrange appointments for Clients
- Assist Fee Earners with compliance of files
- Answer telephone
- Assisting in drafting and preparing legal documents, forms, and bundles
- Prepare post to be sent
- Scan post to system and send to Fee Earners
Qualifications and Training
- OCR Higher Diploma in Administrative and Secretarial Procedures or equivalent eg Degree.
- Legal Secretaries Diploma run by the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs (ILSPA)
- City & Guilds/Cilex Level 3 Certificate for Legal Secretaries
- 3 A Levels
- Working in a fast-paced environment
Skills, Qualities & Attitude
- Communication skills: You will be working with a wide range of people, from barristers and solicitors to their clients, so the ability to communicate well and in a professional manner is essential.
- Written communication skills: excellent spelling and grammar. A high level of written English
- Attention to detail: high level of accuracy when preparing legal documents or filling out forms and statements.
- Organisational skills: These are important for managing lawyers’ diaries and own work schedules.
- IT skills: Most work is carried out electronically.
- Teamwork: able to work with clients, lawyers, and other legal secretaries
- Strong sense of discretion Courteous and professional demeanour
- Legal terminology, regulations and court system
- MS Office and ability to work with legal technology (court-filing computer systems, transcription software, Dictaphone etc
Why Work for Kidwells Solicitors
Kidwells Solicitors works to empower our clients, whether businesses or individuals. And that starts with empowering our staff. Our firm of lawyers and support staff enjoy a high quality of work, in an energetic and friendly environment where they can learn, evolve, and make a real difference in the lives of our clients.
Established in 2008, Kidwells Solicitors is a Law Society Lexcel accredited, dynamic law firm. Our clients value us for our efficient, honest, and proactive approach. We take the time to truly understand our clients and their needs. Our diversity, breadth of experience, and unique level of hands-on expertise are our greatest strengths, enabling us to provide a one-stop service for our clients.
Ultimately, our staff are part of a team that works with clients to build a better future, for themselves, their community, their family, or their business.
Note: This job list is not exhaustive and will be subject to periodic review. It may be amended to meet the changing needs of the business. The Post-holder will be expected to participate in this process and we will aim to reach an agreement on any changes.